Recently, I wrote a post about what causes Excel’s calculation mode to change. Many users experience the issue where it changes without them realizing it. Due to the way Excel handles the calculation mode, the problem can easily be transferred to other workbooks, which can result in users issuing error filled reports and quoting incorrect numbers. That’s pretty bad, right!
To help alleviate some of this pain, I’ve created the Calc Buddy Add-in. Hopefully you won’t be caught out by manual calculation mode again.
Introducing the Calc Buddy Add-in
Calc Buddy allows you to select your preferred calculation mode, then checks the calculation mode each time a workbook is created, opened or saved. If it is different to your preference, a warning message is displayed.
Warning when opening or creating workbooks:
Warning when saving a workbook:
It will work for all 3 calculation modes, so if you always work in manual mode or automatic except tables mode, you can select to be notified for that setting instead.
Setting up the Calc Buddy Add-in
Calc Buddy does not take up a lot of space in the ribbon. It will only add a small button to the empty slot in Calculation section of the Formulas tab.
Click the Calc Buddy icon and a new window will open
Use the tick box to enable or disable the warnings. If enabled, select your preferred calculation mode from the drop-down box, then click Save + Close.
That’s it. Simple.
Download the Calc Buddy Add-in
Now you know how it works, it’s time to download the Add-in.
The Calc Buddy Add-in is available for newsletter subscribers to download for free.
Existing newsletter subscribers can enter their name and e-mail address into the form below to download instantly. Or, if you are not a subscriber, you can enter your name and e-mail address below to become one.
Install the Calc Buddy Add-in
The Add-in is easy to install, just follow the instructions below.
- Unzip the downloaded file
- Copy the Calc_Buddy.xlam file to a location which is easy to find and you always have access to.
- As the file was downloaded from the internet, Windows may add a security block to the file, so you will need to change that setting first.
- Right click on the file, select Properties.
- From the Properties menu, ensure the Unblock box in the general tab is ticked (if there is not an Unblock box, ignore this step), then Click OK.
- Double click the file. The file includes an auto-installer. Depending your security settings you may see the following window: Click Enable Macros.
- You have the option to install the Calc Buddy Add-in or use once.
- If the Calc Buddy Add-in has installed correctly you should see the following message:
The Future of Calc Buddy
Obviously, it would be better if this type functionality were built into Excel already, or even better if the calculation mode was applied at the workbook level. In the future, I hope this feature is added, and Calc Buddy will no longer be required. Until then, I hope you find it useful.
Still Got Questions?
Which versions of Excel does Calc Buddy work on?
Calc Buddy should work on Excel 2007 – 2016 for Windows and Excel 2011 – 2016 for Mac.
How many devices can I install Calc Buddy onto?
Each license is on a per-user basis for an unlimited number of devices. You can use Calc Buddy at home, at work and anywhere else you like.
Can I share Calc Buddy with my friends and work colleagues?
Just send them a link to this page and they can sign-up to get their own copy of the Calc Buddy add-in. If you want a site license for your entire team/business, please contact me to discuss.
Where can I get help if I need it?
The help pages can be accessed from within the Calc Buddy Add-in itself, but can also be found here.
What are the terms of the License?
Find the End User License Agreement here.