The John Lennon song Happy Xmas (War is Over) has been playing almost every hour on UK radio for the past month. At the start of December the lyrics “Another year over, and a new one just begun” seemed slightly premature. But, as I write this it is the end of December the New Year is upon us. As we start 2018 I thought it would be useful to review 2017 and to look ahead to the goals for 2018.
One aspect of running a blog, which had not occurred to me before, is being able to look back at past goals and resolutions. Usually my goals and resolutions are forgotten by the 10th January, but now I can go back and see what I was aiming for this time last year. Here are the goals I set and my estimated progress against those goals.
- More of the same (but better) – achieved 100%. 108 posts published – an average of 9 posts per month.
- Release some templates
- Courses & series – 10%. There has been some progress, but I’ve not completed the Beginning VBA course or even considered created any other courses.
- Videos – 0%. Complete failure, I did not publish a single tutorial video – oops!
- Learning goals – 5%. I’ve started to tinker with PowerQuery, but I’m certainly not a master at present.
There have also been some unexpected achievements, which are worth highlighting:
- Contact – Getting to speak with and getting to know some fellow Excel enthusiasts has been a highlight.
- Learning – I have learnt more about Excel the last 12 months than I thought possible
On the whole, even with some of my goals missed, I still think it has been an excellent year for Excel Off The Grid.
What will 2018 hold for Excel Off The Grid?
My learning goals – These are the same as last year, to get deeper with PowerQuery, PowerPivot and PowerBI.
Fewer blog posts – Thinking about it, 108 posts is probably too many posts. I would prefer to aim for higher quality, rather than higher quantity.
Video – Yes, I hope to get the YouTube channel up and running, finally. I have some site usage statistics to show me the type of topics which readers find useful. This will help me focus the videos on the right topics.
Ebooks – I’ve got a couple of ideas for ebooks, so would like to publish some of these next year.
Let’s get going!
That’s enough talk. Let’s get 2018 started. Check out the blog archive to start learning straight away.